Veggie Packed Vegetarian Nachos
Serves up to 3, takes 10 mins to prep and 30 mins to cook!
Per Shop: $25.15 ($35.15 with the guacamole and sour cream)
Per Serve: $12.60 ($17.60 with the guacamole and sour cream)
1 bag of corn chips (I always chose Mexicana Natural as they only have two ingredients)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 red onion
1 bag of spinach*
Cheese (Edam or mozzarella are 'healthier')
1 packet of Mexican seasoning (e.g, fajita, burrito)
Salt and pepper to taste
I pottle Sour cream
*these are veg boosters - if too pricey, you can leave them out!
1. Dice the onion, grate the carrot and thinly slice the capsicum. Heat a drizzle of cooking oil in a pan. Fry the onion and carrot until soft on a medium heat, and then add the capsicum.
2. Add the seasoning to the pan and coat well. Once fragrant, add the crushed tomato and drained black beans. Simmer for ~10 minutes or until thickened.
3. While your bean mix is simmering, grate some cheese for topping and lay your chips out on a baking tray in preparation for grilling.
4. If having some guac, smash the avo in a bowl and add in some chopped tomato. I add a little bit of olive oil and mix together with some salt and pepper.
5. When your bean mix is nearly ready put your chips in the oven to brown slightly. If you like to melt your cheese on them, go ahead and do that now. Watch carefully as they are quick to burn!
6. Stir your spinach - yup, the whole bag - into the bean mix before serving.
7. Dish up chips and top with bean mixture, cheese + guac and sour cream if having. Enjoy!
Say "No" to Food Waste!
TIP: Pop any leftover veg into a pasta, soup, salad or other meal this week to boost your fibre and nutrient intake!